- An Enterprise server that runs 4 operating systems (z O/S, Linux, AIX and Windows)
- The platform of choice for mission critical private cloud.
- The perfect platform for middleware consolidation, SAP and Lotus Notes
- A competitor for Terradata and Exadata
- The cheapest platform to run Oracle
- The logical home for Analytics and data optimisation
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
First edition of the UK&I Mainframe New Workload Blog
My name is Steven Dickens and I work for IBM in the UK, and focus on working with IBM's mainframe customers to explore putting new workloads on this platform. I will be looking to post on this blog at least once a month, with interesting articles and opinion pieces on what trends we are seeing in the mainframe marketplace.
The rationale for this blog is to prompt people to 'think' and challenge the perceived wisdom around various IT platforms, whilst bearing in mind that the mainframe as a platform and ecosystem has evolved over it's 40+ year life.
By way of example, not a lot of people know that the mainframe is:
In accordance with IBM's guidelines for responsible blogging the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.
System z Interesting Articles
Below are a selection of recent articles and postings that highlight the inherent benefits of the platform:
SAP on System z
Mainfame as the perfect platform for Analytics
Hybrid computing – from mainframe to virtualization
Linux on the mainframe Q&A
Mainframe as the perfect platform for Cloud